Thursday, April 16, 2015

a- On the move again!

5am found me with barely opened eyes, sitting at Chattanooga Airport watching people stumble by, seemingly much more awake and aware than I was.  Kate stayed with me last night and took me to the airport when no other sane people were out on the roads yet.  The animals were having none of this going to bed early and kept me awake with various antics till after 1am!  The cat decided that it was time to try to kill my luggage and the doglets were puzzled by the extra body in the house and some other stuff I never figured out.  When the alarm went off at 3.45am I was definitely not ready for the day.  But it started anyway.

Coffee did not seem to help wake me up - maybe it did and I was just too far gone to notice.... but slowly I came alive and the excitement started!  I was sitting there thinking of the person I was 30, 20,10 and even just 5 years ago and..... yes!  this is a new and improved (I think so anyway) me.  Again.  I never dreamed that I would or could do this, to up and go to amazing places on my own.  So with that thought, the adventure began. I was a little nervous, amazed and a tad outside of my comfort zone, which is all good.  But all feelings except excitement leaving, I boarded the first leg of the day, with just a hint of a bounce in my step.

The first flight was one of the smallest 'full size' airplanes I have ever been on. My carry on luggage was legal size, but too big to fit into the overhead bin, so I quickly yanked some stuff out of it and smooshed it into my handbag so that they would not check it - it had most of my camera stuff in it.  The first 45 minutes was a really interesting (huh) bumpy, rollercoaster ride, and only when it smoothed out did I realize that I had no problem with the take off.. no white knuckles or sweaty palms - just that lovely feeling of adventure around the corner.  That really was a great surprise.

The sunrise tipped the tops of the big heavy clouds and the whole lot looked a bit ethereal - reminded me a bit of The Neverending Story.  The clouds looked a bit like huge Giants rising up into the sky, drawing themselves taller and taller, getting ready for a fight.  All pink and all.

Yeah - I have a 'thing' about clouds - it must be serious as they kept me from dozing off. To me watching clouds from an airplane is like lying on the grass, watching them form all sorts of shapes and also like watching snowflakes fall - puts me in a different world.

On the approach to Dallas - everything was going nice and sweetly, when suddenly we all heard and felt the wheels slamming back up and we went into a really amazingly steep climb.  There was "a sort of hush all over the plane" - everything, except the screaming engines, was dead quiet.  Shortly afterwards the pilot came on over the intercom and said that another plane had "got slowed down and too close in front of us."  Yah.  After circling away my connection time over the airport, we finally landed and I had a fair sprint and train ride to the far side of Dallas Airport to get my next connection.

No window seat this time, the guy there said he 'was going to use it' when I asked him whether he would consider swopping places, and then promptly closed the blind and went to sleep.  No open window seats, but I passed my camera around to a few others who had a seat with a view,  to get photos of the Grand Canyon and other lovely views.

After three and a half hours layover in Las Vegas, resisting the slot machines, finding many things to photograph, I was more than ready.  To go to sleep!  Wonderful views flowed beneath my window, but countless times I found myself waking up with a start, Gypsey (camera #1) slowly sliding off my lap.  There are so many snow capped mountains here and coming into Bellingham was just lovely!

The hotel sent a van to pick me up at the airport and after settling in, going for a good long walk, doing some shopping, I am about ready to call it a day.  The lack of sleep, time difference between there and here and the excitement has totally worn me out.

I am one seriously happy lady - with one burning question.  Camera #1 was named by a friend a good few years ago and goes by the name Gypsey - thanks Gloria!. I am totally comfortable with her and she snaps to attention sometimes even before I do, and almost does the work all on her own.  Camera #2 has this long, almost obnoxious, heavy 500mm lens attached to it - like an elephants trunk, but not bendable.  Its as heavy as all get-out and about as comfy to carry as a camel.  But - this is the one that is going to capture those whales, and bald eagles, and dolphins and and and..  And I need a name for 'it'.  Any suggestions?

Tomorrow I get on the ferry in the afternoon.  The M/V Malaspina will take me from Bellingham to Skagway, Alaska, with many stops in the towns along the way.  I have a cabin on board, but plan to spend a night or two at least out on the deck - especially if the Aurora Borealis (northern lights) decide to come out and play.

I am not sure when I can send out emails , but will try when I go and explore the towns along the way - the ferry does not have wifi.  The subject line will have the letters of the alphabet first - read the emails in order according to this.

Below are some specs of the Malaspina.  Know that you are all along for the ride with me!

Annie

The full trip plan is:  A week on the ferry; two days with my very dear friend, Debs in Seattle topped off with a two full day train ride with Amtrak from Seattle to Los Angeles.
Year Built: 1963
Length (ft.):
408
Beam (ft.):
74
Displacement (LT):
5,552
Loaded Draft:
16'-11.36"
Service HP:
8,000
Service Speed (kn):
16.5
Domestic Tons:
2,928
International Tons:
9,121
 
 
Crew Capacity:
50
Passenger Capacity:
499
Staterooms- 4 berth:
46
Staterooms- 3 berth:
0
Staterooms- 2 berth:
26
ADA Staterooms- 4b:
0
ADA Staterooms- 2b:
1
 
Total Staterooms:
73
Total Berths:
238
 
Vehicle Capacity (ft.):
1,760
Vehicle Quantity:
88
 
Van Quantity:
14



No comments:

Post a Comment