Sunday, April 26, 2015

h - No more Ocean Motion....

What a ride! Booking this ferry trip was almost accidental - I was
looking at volunteering at the Raptor Recovery Center in Sitka when I
found the Ferry System and that just clicked for me. Well, I know I
would not have it any differently than it worked out. It still sort of
surprises me that I take off and do these trips by myself..... Standing
at the yawning open belly of the M/V Malaspina on that day so long ago
that was only one week past, I wondered at the adventures to come,
wondered about how I was going to deal with doing this on my own. I had
no doubt that I would have a fabulous time, but wondered anyway. Well,
I was not on my own after all.

Finding my way around the ferry was, in itself, an adventure - often
finding myself in the totally opposite direction of where I needed to
be. Thankfully, having met up with a couple of others who were also on
this trip, it was nice to bump into them on board and see that they were
just as confused as I was. One of the first things I noticed was that
everyone spoke to everyone - well, generally. It was so easy to strike
up a conversation with anyone and really interesting to hear their
stories....... from leaving Alaska, to heading up for summer jobs. One
lady had sold up everything in Alaska and was headed south with her
daughters to see what she could see, another leaving to care for a sick
relative, another to work with kids in the reservations in Montana, yet
another heading South after 'marking off Alaska from my bucket list".
So, so many interesting people with fascinating stories.

The views were indescribably beautiful all the way there and back -
whether it was a grey and gloomy sky with ominous looking waters, or the
bright sunlight touching up the color on everything all around. The
constant anticipation of seeing a whale, or bear or even pink flamingo's
(plastic) in the trees, kept us all on our toes and scanning the waters
constantly. The short but interesting trips off the ferry were just a
glimpse of a life and a way of life that I would like to find out more
about. There is a laid back, relaxed sense in Alaska and its people.
Not lazy at all, just that it seems that people are more accommodating
of changing circumstances (stretching rubber bands), like when the ferry
was delayed. No big fuss was made - life goes on and everyone adapted.
Its a lovely attitude.

Leaving the dock at Bellingham last Friday heading North to Alaska, it
felt like a lifetime was stretched in front of me, with quiet, ocean and
scenery. Little did I know just how incredibly quickly this week would
pass by. Before I knew it, we were in Skagway which declared the trip
half over already! But I also had no idea of the friendships that
would be made, the laughter and sharing that was ever present from
beginning to end.

The Road Scholar group, led by Karen and Jere, were instrumental in
making this week simply amazing for me. They all accepted me into their
group pretty early on and I was invited to go along on their excursions
and to join in their meetings. I did not go to the meetings as I felt
that this is what the Road Scholar members paid for, and I had not
booked the trip through them. But I did join them on the day trips, and
we all mixed in during meal times and around the boat. I know my week
would have been very different and not nearly as wonderful had it not
been for all of them - so a huge big THANK YOU to Karen and Jere and the
rest of the group. I clicked nicely with a couple of the women on
board, but Dorothy and I ended up chatting, just sitting and watching
the ocean go by, or walking together during the outings. Lovely lady,
and along with Susan, Mary and Jan, we all seemed to bump into each
other regularly - many times to chat about the stories we had heard.
Dorothy and I often sat longer after dinner times, sipping slowly on a
really special lemonade we found. All in all it was a really wonderful
group of people and I felt very honored to be allowed to 'hitch hike' on
their trip. Mary and her friend traveled on the Greyhound with me to
Everette, Washington, after we got off the ferry - what a lovely
couple,really inspiring and so full of fun.

I also met a good many that were not a part of this group and hope to
keep in touch with at least a few of them. It was hard to say goodbye
when we all stood on shore again, waiting for luggage, buses or taxis.
And I kept on taking pictures of the Malaspina, with her mouth wide
open, waiting to gulp in the next load of people that would see the
wonders we had and to create more stories in their own lives. I envied
the new passengers, and yet, was ready to be on to the next stage of my
adventure. I would miss being curled into a corner of the bunk,
snuggled up warmly to the pillows and feel the gentle rocking all night
long and the occasional swishing of the bow wave. I will miss that.

This part of this adventure has been totally wonderful - I know that
once I get home and rested, when I can go through my photos and gently
savor the moments, the many very special moments, that I will truly be
able to soak up just how amazing it has been and how fortunate I have
been to travel on the Alaska Marine Highway. There is a ferry that goes
to Dutch Harbor almost at the end of the Aleutian Chain of islands of
Alaska.... and I know someone who would love to take that trip with
me........... Serena??

So - after a week of gently swaying to the ocean motion, I feel a sort
loss, this first night on terra firma, but it's wonderful to be with my
friends Debs and Tom for a day or so. On Sunday I get on Amtrak at
King Station in Seattle, travel for two days down south to Union
Station, Los Angeles and then on home again.

Till later
Annie
x

No comments:

Post a Comment