Sunday, April 19, 2015

b - From the observation lounge

Oh the excitement of getting on the ferry! She loomed way above the
dock, looking like an adventure to happen. and I was oh so ready!

I got down to the ferry terminal around lunchtime, happy to wander
around for the four hours till check in time. I had my luggage stowed
early as I did not want to carry that everywhere I went. I was sort of
astounded at the weight of my backpack, and the much smaller carry on
bag - they grounded me totally - literally. Anyway - I took a wander up
the road to the little town of Fairhaven - it has a lovely hill, where
you have the opportunity of testing out your leg strength and lung
capacity. I met a couple of other women who are also on the ferry and we
wandered through the town enjoying the peaceful effect before heading
back down to the ferry terminal.

The next couple of hours was spent wandering around, taking way too
many photos of her - the M/V Malaspina. The ferries are also known as
the "Blue Canoes". Slowly people arrived, dragging all shapes and sizes
of luggage - some had boxes on home made carts, others fancy, high
dollar luggage with all the matching labels. It was interesting to sit
and watch this mixture of people all heading North. Everyone has a
story and I sat there drooling at the opportunity, not just for the
photos, but the stories!

After asking whether I could board and getting permission, I took that
long walk down the loading ramp into the belly of the ship. I sort of
giggled/snortled when I stepped in - it was like walking into the mouth
of a huge big whale. And then my eyes got used to the dark inside and I
wound my way through the tightly packed cars to the elevator and up to
the Pursers office where I could go and claim my cabin.... my cabin with
a view.

Its hard to describe the feelings of just this part so far. I was
obviously excited, teetering on the edge of my comfort zone, and yet so
much at peace, totally comfortable and............ well, lets just say
that I did not have to go and hunt a smile - one was wrapped firmly
around my face.

And so - after claiming my cabin, exploring the boat, heading down to
claim my luggage from the car deck,which is as far as they deliver it, I
was ready for some picture snapping. Grabbing Gypsey, we made a good
few circles around the entire boat - again.. There are not too many
tents on the top deck and the heated solarium is not very crowded either
- it almost makes me wish I had just camped out up there.

The most glorious sunset arrived on the horizon not too long after we
left Bellingham, and about the only sounds heard for a while was the
ooh-ing and aaah-ing along with the click of multiple cameras, as the
sky softened and the sun slide behind a mountain and then lit up the
clouds all around.

Talking to others on the boat is easy and free - almost everyone is
friendly and so easy to start a conversation with anyone. The food is
delicious.

Right now, sitting in the observation lounge, going through Queen
Charlotte straight, lovely scenery - countless little islands all
over. The Canadian Geese are heading north in huge flocks and the snow
capped mountains slide continuously by. It is so absolutely peaceful
and the ferry is much quieter than I thought it would be. We have just
taken a left turn, the zig zag through some of the islands here - on my
right is a view right out of my dreams.... water, mountains, snow, geese
and in front of us now is a narrow channel through two islands and
another right in front.

We have had two whale sightings, smaller whales, and they were not at
all energetic.... I snapped some photos of bald eagles way up in the
trees as well, but the views of the mountains, the snow caps, the
waterfalls and just the softness of the sky today was definitely the
winner. Both cameras rubbed my neck raw today, so I will have to make a
plan about that..... if I just use my camera harness for the heavier
one, it would help, I would imagine. The obnoxiously big camera has
been performing so incredibly well today and wow, I could not have got a
few hundred great shots that I nabbed today, without it! At first I was
a tad reluctant, almost embarrassed to walk around with the two, but now
I really dont give a hoot. And there is an added bonus - people now
come looking for me when they see something interesting!

Much of the time has been spent chatting out on the decks, sometimes
while cowering in a nook away from the wind and other times braving the
wind and icy cold to try for that perfect shot. Many of the folks on
board are headed up to Alaska for jobs, to go home again,and in the case
of a few - on a whole new adventure of just packing up to see when the
road takes them. It's fascinating to hear their stories of their lives
and how utterly different is is from the lower 48's. Conversations
start easily and are just as easily put on pause and something else nabs
attention, and then later in the day, that same string is carried on
again as if no time had passed. Lovely.

I am sitting in the dark observation room again, its about 10pm and its
beautifully peaceful in here. There are three others in here, but we
are all just keeping to ourselves, its almost like in a church - you
know not to talk - not now. Everyone is watching the darkness go by,
with the occasional blinking of the navigational light or the spotlight
of the boat lighting up something. I wish I could stay up here all
night long.

Tomorrow morning early, we will arrive in Ketchican, Alaska. Our cell
phones should get signal again, which is almost a pity, its really been
great without the ringing of phones all around. I figure about a third
of the passengers get off tomorrow and anticipate and almost empty boat
for the ride back down next week. There is a travel group on board -
RoadScholar and the leader of the group has invited me along on all and
any of their tours. I think I am going to go with them tomorrow - but
might break away and just wander around. We have 5 hours there, but the
tourist season is not yet open, so almost everything is closed down.
Not quite sure what I will end up doing and might go and talk to the
Purser before tucking in for the night.

It has been an incredible day. The views have moved me to misty eyes at
times, the air is fresh and crisp - apart from the one guy on board who
smokes a simply delicious smelling cigar! Its wonderful to be here. I
am going to watch the darkness go by for just a few more minutes and
then off to call it a night. The motor has a gentle throb to it, very
soothing, and very early this morning I woke up to the knowledge that my
feet were higher than my head, and then it slowly switched around - I
just lay there with a very happy grin on my face until I drifted back
off to sleep. So far its been a really quiet ride with only a little
bit of bumpiness earlier, but I still managed to walk with a cup of
coffee and not spill it - so it was not too bad at all.

More tomorrow

Annie
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment